Home

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"The Purpose of My Education" self relfection journal

There are many reasons that motivate me to become a school leader such as principal, supervisor or superintendent for school for the deaf or deaf programs in any school districts in the future. I was born deaf and I am the product of the special educational system myself. I was able to graduate from High School with a regular educational diploma, and I earned a Bachelor's Degree from Gallaudet University.  I was fortunate to start my professional career as a special education teacher for the deaf. I am fully certified by the State of Texas in Special Education, as well as, in Deaf Education, ASL, and awaiting for Principal certification and for the past two years, I taught at Memorial High School in McAllen, Texas. Currently I am graduate student majoring in Education Administration to become a school leader.

As a deaf person and a professional in the field of education, I am committed to enhancing my knowledge in diverse areas such as education methodologies for special needs population, curriculum development and multi-cultural awareness, which not only have always interested me, but after teaching for almost two years, I consider critical in order to provide the best education for students who are in need of especial education.  I have always welcomed the chance to participate in various activities in the academic field and to provide services for the community. I participated in a summer educational and cultural exchange program between Gallaudet University and Carlos V Universidad Complutense of Madrid, Spain, which taught me about different approaches to education in a multicultural setting. I taught ASL one year at South Texas College to hearing students wishing to learn the language or become interpreters.

I am young, ready to learn and capable of rising to the challenge. I will honor the opportunity of obtaining my Master of Education Administration in Deaf and Special Education from Lamar University because I believe it will provide me with the best tools to educate youngsters with special needs in our Texas educational system.
           

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I am an itinerant teacher of mainstreamed deaf and hard of hearing students. I am looking forward to more of your posts and learning from you. It is always nice to see deaf and hard of hearing people enter the field of education. We could use more. Sounds like any school would be very lucky to have you.

    (e

    www.ehwhathuh.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We have lots of work ahead. From my point of view, enhancing communication has always been deafness' most challencing task. Your concern is what makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete