Home

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

EDLD 5345- Week 4 Discussion: "How do you define ethics? In what ways do you think that your personal code of ethics may be tested in a school leadership? How would your personal code of ethics guide your decision making as a school leader?"


I defined ethics as the principle of good morality behaviors. Myself as deaf educator, my personal code of ethics could be tested in a leadership position because I often faced numerous obstacles communicating with administrators, staffs and parents beyond the basic concepts. In my experience, conflict occurs and exacerbate when communication channels are not set in place or become disrupted. This situation is even more obvious when we are talking about deaf teachers (like me) and it interaction with the school administration and rest of the staff members. Only a great deal of effort and creativity (problem solving outside the box) and the commitment to improve communication can possibly help to solve the day to day situations and conflicts. For example, when it comes to emergency situations, in many cases I faced what I call “communication slowdowns” because interpreters weren’t always available at those times. This experience illustrates the example that my personal ethic will be ultimately tested regarding to challenges of communication barriers. However, my personal code of ethic guide my decision making as a school leader, I will ensure to review and implement policies and procedures, along with ethical codes, that promote professional educator compliance in decision making, actions and behaviors and model the highest standard of conduct, ethical principles and integrity in decision making. It is imperative for me as school leader to apply knowledge of ethical issues affecting education, follow laws, policies, and procedure in a fair and reasonable manner, and communicate effectively with a school stakeholders and appropriate authorities about the decision making process.

No comments:

Post a Comment